Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bambi Is Here Now

 

 
(the blue binding in the photo is the right colour, but the oranges above are too bright)
I finally finished my Bambi Rug (last night)! Yes, after 6 months (although a lot of that time I didn't touch it excepting at the weekends, so it could have been quicker).

We (the One True and I) went on an emergency trip to Kazari in Prahran last Saturday, because, even though I have as much fabric as they do, I didn't have anything that looked right for the rug binding. Nothing! And, being silks and cottons (and nylons), I wasn't going to use wool (which I could dye the right colour but which wouldn't look right, texture-wise).

I managed to find (within the first minute) the perfect colour and a pleasing texture to use. An old kimono, unlined, $20. You can see it in this awfully blurred and temporary photo (which shows the colour well, nonetheless). It's fluffy because I cut off-grain and the back-colour shows at the edges (an old shell-pinky shade). Noice.

I also had to have a $10 length of gorgeous, purple, silk-satin damask (amazing colour), and... a shell thingy and a fabulous ceramic bird in jade green. While I was choosing the fabric (and I looked at every roll of cloth in the shop, but came back to the first choice) my Fella went to the art supply shop and spent loads of money. Loads. So, our $20 ended up being nearly $300. Sooo naughty.

But we don't care.

Bambi's now in pride of place in front of the chaise, looking the wrong size but nearby enough, for the moment, to gaze upon all of those beautiful mostly vintage silks.






 

Monday, January 05, 2015

This Is So Nice To Work On, Out On The Verandah

 
Well, I am still thinking of Magdalena Briner Eby,ish... though not trying to copy her so much as starting with her work in mind. She had a fantastic, organic style, and this rug has been growing too, rather than following any pre-known or colour plan. I like to begin with the Must Use fabrics or Definitely Will Include colours, and then follow their lead.
As usual, in so doing, I make work for myself. But the idea of using old clothes and fabrics dictates the colours and you can't always know what works, in advance. As opposed to dyeing woollen cloths to suit, that is (where you obviously have a plan).
I've really made inroads into my (often) Japanese silk and my (unwearable) vintage clothes stashes! It feels at once wasteful and the exact opposite. You can't see the details of prints etc., but the lusciousness abides! And I don't do so much embroidery these days so it's just sitting there accusing me.
 

Scribbles become intelligible if you Add Too Many!

These are just crummy 'phone shots. My camera had Alzheimer's. So... the colours aren't good in this overall shot. Probably, the first photo is most accurate.