Saturday, June 05, 2010

Sadie's Hanky Box

The underside.

The inside base.

This photo is of my mother holding me, taken up at my Granny's hotel in Yackandandah. Mum would have been just 25. Younger than my youngest. I showed Dad and he remembered taking the picture!


My little grand-daughter wanted a hanky box the same as mine, and here it is. A little girl version of mine at least. I bought the hankies before last Christmas, knowing I'd make her a little box eventually. I did think to make it for her now, but really, the idea was to make it while she was with me, to inspire her to follow in the family footsteps and become a mad sewer... but once I got started it... I couldn't stop. I'm keeping it for Christmas because she'll be that bit older and won't trash it perhaps. Luckily, if she does, I can just as quickly make another..

I'll make a little book while she's visiting one day, to let her see how it's done. I don't remember learning to crochet and I want Sadie to have the same tools. That's what Grandma's are for.

7 comments:

Annabelle said...

WOW. These are very unique and fun! Thanks for posting the tutorial!

Lins Artyblobs said...

Great box!

victoria said...

It is so beautiful. I love the inside photo. I'm also very fond of Yakandandah.

Wendy j said...

This is the prettiest hankie box I have seen, I have my mother’s hankie box which was made by her mum, so it’s very special to me. I have taken a pattern from it and have just finished my third one, one for each of my granddaughter’s and one for a niece.

Bobby La said...

Thankyou! Xx

Nanvis said...

What are the sizes of the templates please?

Bobby La said...

Well, if you print that out as an A4. I don’t have a copy except what is here on the page. It’s not big… you can enlarge or make smaller… sorry!