Sunday, February 08, 2009

Next Day

We went up Ridge Road last night, which is near here and affords an almost 360 degree view of the Warburton mountains through the city and down to Pakenham. Pakky was obscured by trees. It was so scary. I've lived in many of the places affected and have many friends and acquaintances there too. The fire glow from what must have been the Marysville-Narbethong section was apocalyptic. We could see fire from King Lake, and we're probably, I dunno, 60-80k away?
One of my closest friends (Jenny) moved from King Lake to Far North Queensland and they have floods there now. I want to ring Jen, but there are six or more fatalities from King Lake and maybe her friends will try to ring her.
The thing that's freaky is that you know that something must happen on a day like yesterday. And if the extreme dry and lightening don't start it, arsonists will.

4 comments:

The Rustic Victorian said...

My prayers are with you and your country. I am hearing some about it all. I wish I had a magic wand...of course prayer is better. Take care Robyne
Marcie

Talking Horses Arts said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your friend!
Hope you will all be ok out there!!
I will try to send some snow, dunno if it will make it to there....?
Take care!!!!!!!!
Andrea.

shula said...

How come everyone is so sure that it was arson. I mean, it could have been, but the fires could just have easily started without them.

I seem to have missed something.

They'll be telling us it was terrorists, next.

One cigarette from a moving car was enough.

Bobby La said...

really, in that weather you'd just have to be in a bad mood for the fire to start. i haven't heard much talk about arson, excepting what they should face in a court of law. oh, and i suppose some folk had other suggestions.