Saturday, August 04, 2007

'The Kite Runner' By Khaled Hosseini


This is such a beautiful book which incidentally describes various Afghani customs within the storyline. Such as, the Afghan people, after seeing a movie for the first time, would be badgered by their friends... 'What happened in the end?' 'Did they find love?' 'Was the bad man killed?'. When the narrator came to America and happily shared the ending to other people, they thought it the rudest behaviour.
I always think that we know so little about each other. In my home, growing up, if a neighbour came to visit and immediately put the kettle on for a cuppa, it was considered an idication that they felt at home. Therefore good. When I met my now ex in-laws for the first time and did the same they were horrified and offended that I thought their hospitality so lacking and that I had the audacity to help myself. EVEN THOUGH my then boyfriend asked me to! Even though.
But, it was a different culture (English) and as I said... EX!
Anyway good people, read this if you want your heart broken tenderly.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Both of those stories made me smile - the cinema endings and the putting on of the kettle. I dont mind my heart being broken by a book - will put it on the list.